Responsible for the preparation and running of the Emirates Stadium and wider facilities at other locations for all events and functions. Department remit includes property and facilities management, spectator safety at events, wider Health and Safety matters.
To liaise with the current Boreham Wood groundstaff in the day to day maintenance and the general upkeep of the Boreham Wood Playing surface.
• Effective management of all grounds activities to consistently achieve the recognized standards and availability to satisfy both the Club and its end users (e.g. coaches, players etc) requirements.
• Seek to improve and innovate more efficient ways of working and utilizing the facilities.
• Assist the Grounds Manager in the management of the surface for the end user.
• Implementation and monitoring of weekly, monthly and annual maintenance programs to ensure the required standard of surface presentation and use.
• Be fully knowledgeable of the Health and Safety regulations in the area of responsibility.
• Possess a thorough understanding of legislation relating to chemicals and dangerous
substances. Promote safe working practices at all times.
• Manage and check facilities, plant, buildings and equipment to ensure safe working
practices and Health and Safety legislation compliance.
• Provide effective materials and machinery management to ensure all equipment is
correctly stored, maintained and serviced.
• Conduct basic risk assessments, assist in developing contingency plans and be able to respond to emergencies. Actively promote safe practices of self and others. Respond to
emergencies by using emergency equipment and calling assistance.
• Support the efficient use of resources. Gather and record information to develop trend data and analyse past usage. Make recommendations for improving the best use of resources and the playing surfaces.
• Wide use of machinery in renovation of grass areas - use of turf cutters, edgers, scarification, and seeders
• Grass cutting and strimming around landscaped areas
• Pedestrian and ride on grass cutting equipment on football pitches and surrounds
• Marking out pitches
• Application of fertilisers and chemicals using tractor mounted and pedestrian equipment.
• Assisting in the renovation of pitches using equipment associated with this process e.g. tractor and trailer work, sand spreading
• Helping out with deliveries, manual handling of bags of sand, sand soil, fertilizer bags, seed bags ranging from 20-25kg
• Cleaning equipment stores and associated washdown areas
• Cleaning and maintaining goal posts, replacing nets etc
• Aeration work
• Pitch repair duties
• Ad hoc duties as and when required.
Match/Event responsibilities and organisation
• Working Arsenal fixtures and events held at the Boreham Wood stadium,
Hours of Work
This role requires individuals to work flexibly. There may be some evening and weekend work required.
MAIN JOB REQUIREMENTS AND PERSON SPECIFICATION
• To be qualified to NVQ level 3 or above in green keeping and groundsmanship or equivalent. In the absence of qualifications at least 5 years’ experience would be necessary in the grounds keeping industry
• Spraying certificates PA1, 2 and 6 would also be an advantage
• Be experienced in being able to use a wide range of turf care equipment i.e. cylinder mowers, ride on mowers, scarification equipment, aeration equipment plus a wide range of renovation equipment, as well as hedge cutters, strimmers and all equipment associated with amenity landscapes.
• Previous experience in all aspects of grounds keeping, not only on playing surfaces but amenity landscapes as well
• Competent management and maintenance of irrigation systems
• Prior experience of carrying out other duties in relation to the general upkeep of a stadium environment
• To be able to work not only as part of a team, but also to show the capabilities to work using your own initiative, with the ability to demonstrate a good understanding of the latest health and safety legislation especially when using equipment
• Mechanical knowledge would also be an advantage i.e. dealing with mower breakdowns and routine maintenance on equipment
• Experience of managing teams of operatives, planning and organising workloads, allocating duties, monitoring performance and Health and Safety Issues
• Have a good mechanical knowledge of equipment and be able to assist when necessary in jobs in and around the workshop that require being undertaken, jobs include helping blade changing fabrication and also routine maintenance of equipment.
• Be able to have a flexible attitude in carrying out other duties in relation to the general upkeep of the facility.
• Working to a high standard in looking after sports turf and amenity landscapes.
• Be physically fit enough to deal with the manual and physical demands of the job such as the manual handling of deliveries such as bags of material of various weights
• Have a meticulous approach to work when attention to detail is essential along with good communication skills when dealing with members of staff along with coaching staff.
• Ability to use a wide range of turf care equipment i.e. cylinder mowers, triple unit mowers, scarification equipment, aeration equipment plus a wide range of renovation equipment
• To be able to work not only as part of a team ,but also to show the capabilities to work using your own initiative and providing a good understanding of the latest health and safety legislation especially when using equipment
• Enjoy working to a high standard and have a flexible attitude, especially in terms of the unsocial hours that might be necessary.
• A passion or empathy with sport/sports entertainment
To apply for the Head Grounds Person role please follow this link: www.arsenaljobs.com
Arsenal FC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
Arsenal Football Club
Apr 10th, 13:30
24th April 2019