Reporting to: Head Groundskeeper / Director of Athletics
Hours: 30 hours per week over 4 days, one 7-hour day at college
Start date: September 2019
Contract: 24 months from commencement of work
Canons Park is a 22-acre multi-use sports facility catering for football, rugby, baseball, softball, lacrosse, tennis and other events designed for students and the wider ASL community. The site is also home to the school’s eco-garden. The facilities operate according to the school’s athletic schedule so flexibility is important.
The Apprentice Groundskeeper will work directly with the Head Groundskeeper to ensure that the ASL sports facility at Canons Park is appropriately managed and maintained. During the course of the apprenticeship the Apprentice Groundskeeper will undergo training to upskill in areas of Groundskeeping and Turf Management, working closely with the Head Groundskeeper to achieve this.
Summary of Major Responsibilities:
• Assist the Head Groundskeeper in the maintenance of Canons Park, including grounds and sports equipment
• Prepare, implement and monitor weekly, monthly and annual maintenance programmes to ensure the required standard of surface presentation
• To have an understanding of Health and Safety in the areas of grounds maintenance
• Over time learn to possess a thorough understanding of legislation relating to chemicals and dangerous substances
• To assist the Head Groundskeeper to manage and check facilities, plants, buildings and equipment ensuring safe working practices and Health and Safety legislation compliance
• To ensure the site is safe at all times for any users
• maintaining vigilance of the grounds whilst on site, reporting any concerns to the Head Groundskeeper or ASL security
• Assist the Head Groundskeeper to conduct basic risk assessments, develop contingency plans and be able to respond to emergencies
• Assist in the supervision of sub-contractors and temporary staff to ensure standards of work are maintained and tasks completed
• Any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, as requested by the Director of Athletics
• Experience and/or a qualification in the area of grounds maintenance with a keen desire to develop in these areas
• Understanding of relevant Health and Safety practices and procedures
• To have good oral and written communication skills
• A desire to work in a team-focused, community environment, with an approachable and flexible mind set
• A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children
• Ability to work outdoors and in all weathers
• A valid driver’s license and the ability to use machinery and equipment safely (training will be provided)
• Experience operating a tractor (training will be provided)
• Formal training in manual handling and risk assessment
• Pesticide operator training modules PA1 and PA6
This position description is current at the date shown but following consultation may be changed to reflect or anticipate changes in the role that are commensurate with the job title and salary.
The American School in London is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. Safer recruitment practice and pre-employment checks will be undertaken before any appointment is confirmed. A disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service will be requested for all successful applicants.
Diversity and equality of opportunity are cornerstone values of The American School in London.
The American School In London
Canons Park, Middlesex
May 30th, 15:00
27th June 2019