Term: Permanent Full Time
Location: Trillion Trophy Training Centre, 300 Redhill Road, Birmingham, B38 9EL
Minimum Age: 16
Application closing date: 08/08/2019
We are looking for 2 x apprentice groundstaff to assist and support the Groundstaff team in maintaining and preparing high quality playing surfaces* to the appropriate and expected standard in order for professional footballers to ‘train’ on a daily basis (*including surrounding landscaped areas and banks). The role includes managing and producing all design work along with the following:
SCOPE OF DUTIES
• To be trained by current staff to be competent at specific jobs including mowing, marking out, divotting, fertilising.
• To assist and support a team of ground staff in the upkeep and maintenance of the 5 priority training pitches and agility areas at Wast Hills Training Ground plus a further training pitches at Wast Hills which are provided for Academy and Community use (total acreage of 50 acres at Wast Hills).
• To assist and support the ground staff in the upkeep and maintenance of the 3G Artificial pitch situated on site.
• To assist and support the ground staff in the upkeep and maintenance of the Indoor Area pitch situated on site.
• To assist and support the ground staff in the upkeep and maintenance of the surrounding landscaped areas and banks.
• To assist in the upkeep and maintenance of all training pitches at the instruction of the Head Groundsman, i.e. provide assistance and support in respect of necessary maintenance procedures being carried out regularly to ensure all Club training surfaces are properly maintained.
• To assist the Ground staff team with regards to the preparation of training pitches, surrounding areas and any associated equipment required for all first team friendly matches, reserve team friendly matches and Academy League fixtures played at Wast Hills Training Ground at the instruction of the Head Groundsman.
• Attend any necessary training courses as and when required by the Company, i.e. in terms of operation of machinery and equipment etc.
• To be conversant with all Health and Safety requirements in respect of the position and to attend any health and safety courses as and when required by the Club.
• Perform basic grounds and landscaping maintenance using power driven tools and equipment, such as mower, edger, power clippers, and vacuum/blower devices.
• Plant, water and maintain landscaped areas consisting of bushes, trees, flowers and shrubs; trim and prune bushes, trees and shrubs.
PERSON SPECIFICATION – APPRENTICE GROUNDSPERSON
SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Be willing to study for an NVQ1 Diploma in Work based Horticulture/Sports turf and other relevant training qualifications
• The ability to lift and use heavy equipment and operate heavy machinery
• Ability to perform heavy manual labour for extended periods, often under adverse climatic conditions
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions
• Must possess excellent communication skills and the ability to build rapport with people at all levels
• Effective planning and time management skills
• A practical, flexible and innovative approach to work
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Knowledge of chemicals, herbicides, and pesticides
• Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of trucks, tractors, sweepers, and lawn mowers
• Knowledge of proper lifting techniques
• Previous experience looking after Sports turf
• Must be able to demonstrate a passion for horticulture/sports turf
• Strong sense of responsibility and teamwork
• Willingness to work outdoors and in all weathers
• Must possess a ‘can do’ and positive attitude
• Flexible approach to meet the nature and demands of the business
• Must be able to cope under pressure
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to indoor and outdoor environments; wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; dust; outside weather conditions; risk of mechanical hazards, explosive hazards, burn hazards, chemical hazards. The employee is frequently exposed to extreme cold and extreme heat.
• Flexibility with working hours required to meet demands of the role, including weekend work and unsociable hours is essential.
• Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
• This role is regarded as a ‘Regulated Activity’ and is therefore subject to an Enhanced DBS check, (previously a CRB check) which includes the barred list for working with children. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974
Applicants should apply here
Birmingham City FC is an Equal Opportunities and Disability Confident employer and welcomes applicants from all sectors of the community.
Birmingham City Football Club
Aug 6th, 13:44
20th August 2019