We're looking for Seasonal Groundstaff to join our Groundstaff team on a fixed term contract from April 2020 - October 2020. In this role, you will assist in maintaining the grass, clay and hard courts, covered courts, croquet lawns, amenity grassed areas and car parks across all sites/locations.
Founded in 1868, The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) is a private members’ club which organises and stages The Championships, Wimbledon.
The AELTC has delivered substantial top line growth in recent years and expects that growth to continue in conjunction with an ambitious investment programme in the years ahead, including the construction of a retractable roof over No.1 Court.
The Groundstaff Department’s role is to maintain grass, clay, hard and covered courts and the croquet lawns for year-round use by Members and guests and to fully prepare the courts for The Championships using the latest technology combined with vast experience and skills.
This supports the AELTC’s goal of delivering the world’s premier tennis tournament and to support one of the world’s most prestigious tennis clubs.
The Groundstaff Department delivers year-round maintenance and state of the art preparation for The Championships which sees around 3,500 hours of use during The Championships.
• To assist in the care and daily maintenance of grass courts ie mowing, marking out, operating pedestrian and tractor mounted machinery, Spring and Autumn grass court renovations
• Identifying and controlling of weeds, pests, diseases and disorders
• Applying nutrition (granular and liquid)
• To assist in the care and daily maintenance of clay courts, hard courts and covered courts
• To assist in the care and daily maintenance of the croquet lawns, ornamental, other grass areas and car parks
• General maintenance of paths and areas surrounding courts
• To assist in the care and daily maintenance of all equipment and tools
• Maintain health, safety and security in the workplace and comply with company procedures and guidelines
• Take personal responsibility to be in clean and presentable AELTC uniform during working hours
• On a day to day basis flexibility will be required to work across the Horticultural Services Department and Groundstaff Department as required.
• Maintenance and moving of benches
• Erecting netting, permanent and temporary
• Setting up courts for play
• Operating grass court covers
• Driving buggies and other required machinery
• Keep grounds tidy and weed free
• Maintaining cups and water on courts
• Basic working hours are normally 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, with an hour for lunch, although flexibility is required to meet the demands of the job, including working overtime when needed.
• During The Championships the job holder must be available to work weekends and at least 12 hour days.
• Any other duties within the scope of the post as may be required.
• Proven knowledge and practical experience gained in a professional environment
• Strong turf knowledge and qualifications
• Current full driving licence (Category B)
• Recognise that all events and matches are important to the image and the operation of the AELTC
• Basic numeracy
• Good verbal communication to meet job requirements
• Able to meet deadlines
• Willing to work extra hours and days in the build up to, and during, The Championships
• Organised, efficient, professional and reliable
• Positive, flexible approach to work
• Able to lift and carry heavy loads
• Able to build good working relationships at all levels
• Excellent attention to detail
• NVQ Level 2, or equivalent in sports turf culture
• PA1 and PA6A training
• Knowledge of, and experience with, grass tennis courts and other tennis court surfaces to competition standard
To apply, please visit www.wimbledon.com/jobs
All England Lawn Tennis Club
Nov 19th, 11:15
13th December 2019