We're looking for Seasonal Gardeners to join our Horticulture teams on a fixed term contract from March/April 2020 - Oct 2020. In this role, you will assist in maintaining horticultural elements across all sites/locations to a high standard including car parking areas.
Founded in 1868, The All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) is a private members’ club which organises and stages The Championships, Wimbledon.
The AELTC has delivered substantial top line growth in recent years and expects that growth to continue in conjunction with an ambitious investment programme in the years ahead, including the construction of a retractable roof over No.1 Court.
The Horticultural Services Department designs and delivers the landscaping in accordance with the Strategic Plan to encompass multiple sites. We provide landscaping at the heart of ‘Tennis in an English Garden’ adding up to 15,000 additional plants to enhance the site and experience for spectators, members and visitors. Throughout the rest of the year the site is maintained and managed to a high standard by an established and experienced horticultural team.
This supports the AELTC’s goal of delivering the world’s premier tennis tournament and to support one of the world’s most prestigious tennis clubs.
• Plant management to include planting, pruning, feeding, watering, weeding, clearing, strimming, blowing and hedge cutting throughout the site.
• Maintain health, safety and security in the workplace and comply with company procedures and guidelines, including manual handling procedures.
• Support the delivery of the Tournament overlay to include the AELTC and AECCSG site, Wimbledon Queue, Wimbledon Park Golf Club, Apex Hospitality areas.
• To assist in the care and daily maintenance of all equipment and tools.
• Operating machinery.
• Keep the grounds tidy and weed free.
• Take personal responsibility to be in clean and presentable AELTC uniform during working hours.
• On a day to day basis flexibility will be required to work across the Groundstaff and Horticultural Services Department as required across all sites/locations.
• Any other duties within the department deemed necessary by the Head Gardener.
• Basic working hours are normally 8am to 4pm, Monday to Friday, with one hour of unpaid breaks per day, although flexibility is required to meet the demands of the job, including working overtime when needed
• During The Championships a different pattern of hours will be required to include an earlier start time and some additional hours will be required to meet the demands of the job (in previous years staff have worked from 6am to 2pm)
• It will be necessary to work weekends before, during and after The Championships (including Middle Sunday)
• The successful applicant will have a desire to make a pro-active, subject specialist contribution to the delivery of landscaping in accordance with the Strategic Plan to encompass multiple sites
• Any other duties within the scope of the post as may be required.
• RHS Level 2 Horticultural qualification or equivalent
• Horticultural knowledge and practical experience gained in a professional environment
• Current full driving licence
• Organised, efficient, professional and reliable with a pro-active approach
• Ensure effective communication and collaboration with ability to build good working relationships within the team and other departments
• Willing to work extra hours and days in the build up to, and during, The Championships
• Able to lift and carry heavy loads
• Excellent attention to detail
• Good verbal and written communication skills and basic numeracy to meet job requirements
• Able to meet deadlines
• Positive, flexible approach to work to support the Horticultural Services Department team
• Mobile Elevated Working Platform (MEWP) certificate
To apply, please visit www.wimbledon.com/jobs
All England Lawn Tennis Club
Nov 19th 2019, 11:15
13th December 2019