REPORTING TO: Events & Facilities Manager
LOCATION: Farnham Park Baseball & Softball Complex,
Slough, Buckinghamshire, SL2 3BP
SALARY: £20-22k (dependent upon skills and experience)
HOURS OF WORK: Flexible 37.5 hours per week. The role will involve significant weekend work during the outdoor playing season (Mar-Oct)
CONTRACT: Full-time, permanent
OUTLINE OF THE ROLE
BaseballSoftballUK is the development agency for baseball and softball in the UK and owns and operates the flagship facility at Farnham Park, Buckinghamshire. The facility hosts baseball and softball league play, national and international tournaments and development sessions from March through to the end of October. As Grounds Keeper, you will work closely with the Events & Facilities Manager in the general smooth running, maintenance and development of the site.
Principally, your role will be to prepare and maintain the playing surfaces for all baseball and softball tournaments and oversee the successful delivery of onsite field support during these tournaments (mostly taking place at weekends) which will include field repair, re-marking between games and liaising with our customers and tournament organisers. There will be some supervisory responsibilities with the role where you will help recruit and lead a team of several casual workers to help with the field preparation and event field support. Although baseball / softball experience is not required, the applicant should have proven grounds experience along with recognised Level 2 or equivalent qualification in turf management. You will require the ability and confidence to deal with colleagues, customers and suppliers at every level and be able to demonstrate effective use of field equipment, including any machinery, line marking and hand tools.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Preparation and maintenance of sporting surfaces to agreed standards, including line marking, positioning bases and pitching plates, setting temporary fencing, infield surface preparation, raking and brushing dirt, watering, etc.
• Liaising with tournament organisers and supporting their requirements and requests during events (including field repairs, litter picking, supply of equipment, general assistance, etc.).
• Maintenance of the surrounding BaseballSoftballUK leased land such as litter picking, strimming, hand digging, pruning of shrubs, disposing of cuttings and debris, hand weeding, etc.
• Maintenance of dugouts, backstops, fencing and other onsite structures.
• Ensuring high level of security of compound, machinery and tools.
• Manual handling and regular use of hand tools (e.g., rakes, brushes, shovels) and machinery (e.g., strimmers, turf edger, lawn mowers, tractor, utility vehicle, rollers).
• Appropriate maintenance of equipment and equipment stores.
• Safe operation of all site machinery and hand tools.
• Involves working outdoors in all weather conditions.
• At times, the role may require heavy lifting.
• General on-site assistance to the Events & Facilities Manager.
• Recruitment of appropriately skilled casual grounds workers.
• Supervise and lead the Grounds Team to deliver field preparation and event support as cost and time efficiently as possible.
• Help to facilitate Grounds Team meetings.
• Maintain safe working conditions on site and ensure Health & Safety policy is understood and implemented by the Grounds Team, reporting any issues.
• Place orders and liaise with pitch care and facility suppliers and grounds services contractors.
This job description is not to be regarding as exclusive or exhaustive. It is intended as an outline indication of the areas of activity you will be required to work and can be amended subject to the changing needs of the organisation as the facility develops.
• Experience in using a turf care equipment e.g., ride on mowers, utility tractors, scarification, aeration, spreaders, turf edgers, strimmers.
• Experience of manual handling and to be physically fit to carry out the duties required of the role.
• Has an interest in sport, enjoys working outdoors and is content with lone working.
• Has a flexible approach to working hours.
• Ability to effectively interact with external contractors, suppliers, volunteers, team members and others at all levels of the organisation.
• Excellent organisational skills, a willingness to learn new skills and pass on knowledge.
• Is reliable, effective, efficient and takes pride in work with an eye for accuracy and detail.
• Ability to work autonomously, take responsibility and ownership of the role and demonstrate initiative.
• Ability to prioritise, problem solve and to undertake tasks to given time constraints and remain calm under pressure.
• Full, clean car driving licence.
• Level 2 /3 NVQ certificate in sports turf management (or equivalent).
• Experience of supervising a small team.
• Experience of ride on cylinder and rotary mowers.
• Training in manual handling.
• Health and Safety knowledge and experience.
• Holds a First Aid certificate.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send CV and covering letter detailing your suitability for the role to: Samuel.firstname.lastname@example.org
BaseballSoftballUK recognises the importance of equality within the sports sector and the wider community on behalf of our staff, members and participants. BSUK is committed to help ensure access to our services and activities for any person regardless of individual circumstance or background. BSUK recognises that we live in a diverse society and is fully committed to the principles of equality of access and opportunity and to the elimination of unlawful and unfair discrimination. Equality of opportunity and inclusivity is fundamental to our vision and values and are supported by appropriate policies, procedures and good practice. All our Policies and Procedures have been produced to prevent and tackle any potential or current discrimination or other unfair treatment, whether intentional or unintentional, direct or indirect. Our Equality & Diversity Policy sets out many proactive steps that will be taken to ensure the principles of equality of access and opportunity are adhered to by the BSUK staff and officials in our work and on behalf of our members. A hard copy can be provided on request.
Farnham Royal, Buckinghamshire
Dec 30th 2019, 07:00
27th January 2020