An exciting opportunity has arisen in the West Ham United Groundstaff department for an Assistant Groundstaff operative to work as part of the team assisting to maintain and prepare the playing surface’s to an excellent standard to ensure that games and training can go ahead on schedule and to maintain the surrounding areas of the training ground to the same high standard.
• Undertake routine preparation and maintenance work in relation to playing surfaces as assigned by the Head Groundsman or Deputy Head Groundsman. Undertake all preparatory and cultivation work to maintain safe quality playing surfaces.
• Initial marking out and setting up of playing surfaces to a high standard undertaking all duties to ensure the best possible results are achieved.
• The safe use and operation of equipment and machinery used in grounds maintenance.
• Inform the supervisor and where instructed, take corrective action on mechanical defects or breakdown of equipment.
• At all times adhere to high standards in relation to Health and Safety upholding the Company policy in this respect.
• Undertake general grounds maintenance tasks in relation to the playing surface and surrounding areas.
• Ensure work area is kept clean, tidy and secure at all times.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, colleagues and end users.
• When dealing with customers / clients / public uphold high standards of
customer care and attention at all times promoting the image of the Company.
• General Grounds Maintenance - Contribute to the upkeep/presentation of the site including verges, hedges & off-pitch areas.
• Mowing- Regular mowing of training areas using a variety of mowing equipment.
• Aeration, brushing, seeding- Use of tractor units & utility vehicles with a wide range of attachments utilised for turf care maintenance.
• To set-out & over mark pitches & pre-determined areas ready for play.
• Reinstatement of pitches- Divot repair work following play.
• Irrigation - Set-up & use both travelling & automated irrigation systems.
• Fertilising - Apply appropriate sports turf granular fertiliser as directed as part of an annual nutritional programme.
• Matchday preparation - Set-up goals, flags, etc. for scheduled matches at Development Squad & Academy levels.
• Artificial Surface Maintenance - Regular brushing/grooming 3G artificial surfaces using specialised equipment.
• Staff must evidence a commitment to the safety and welfare of children, young people and adults at risk regardless of their age, gender, language, religion, ethnic background or sexual identity and ensure the safety and protection of all children, young people and adults at risk taking part in any activity arranged by or in the name of the Club.
• It is a requirement for staff to follow the Club’s Safeguarding reporting procedures to report without delay, allegations of abuse, poor practice or which is or may, impact on the welfare of a child, young person or adult at risk. After contacting and taking guidance from the Safeguarding Team, staff must use the Club’s Child Protection Online Management System (CPOMS ) to record the concern within 24 hours unless directed to do otherwise.
The ideal candidate will have skills and experience in the following areas:
Essential (E) Desirable (D)
• NVQ level 2 (or Equivalent) in Horticulture (E)
• Experience in working on professional sports grounds (D)
• PA 1, 2 and 6 Spraying (D)
• Team Player (E)
• Enthusiastic (E)
• Ability to adapt to change and work under pressure (E)
• Willingness to work outdoors and in all weathers (E)
• Able to accept and carryout instructions (E)
We believe that a diverse workforce strengthens our creativity and delivers the best commercial performance. We are, therefore seeking applications from high quality people, whose backgrounds, experience and identity broadens and enhances the diversity of our company.
Click here to apply
As an employer we are committed to promoting and protecting the physical and mental health of our staff.
We are committed to the principle of equality and equal opportunities in employment and have been accredited with the being Disability Confident Leader. We will actively promote equality and equal opportunities in our business to ensure that individuals receive treatment that is fair and equitable and consistent with their relevant aptitudes, potential skills and abilities. Employees will be recruited and selected, promoted and trained on the basis of objective criteria.
West Ham United Football Club
Oct 12th, 09:55
31st October 2020