The Spencer Club is a thriving multi-sports club located in Earlsfield in South West London and is looking to recruit an Assistant Groundsperson.
The Club has over 3,000 members across six sports including cricket, hockey, tennis, lacrosse, squash and netball. The facilities include multiple cricket pitches, hard and grass tennis courts, squash courts and an all weather pitch. While the Club is mainly supported by volunteers, the Assistant Groundsperson role will sit within a small team of employees at the main Clubhouse on site.
Spencer is a fast paced, ever changing environment with demands for the facilities from it’s own members as well as other third parties. In this role, the Assistant Groundsperson will have the ability to use their excellent knowledge of groundskeeping as well as develop new skills and improve on their decision-making skills and independence.
Working within the grounds of a members sports club in South London you will be required to look after (under supervision) several differing sports surfaces, associated facilities and overseeing the surrounding landscaped areas. You will be self-motivated & enjoy the challenge of producing excellent playing surfaces for all sports as well as undertaking general ground keeping tasks.
• Undertake routine grounds maintenance work on a range of sports facilities & surfaces as directed by Head Groundsman. Undertake all preparatory & cultivation work to maintain safe, high quality playing surfaces.
• The creation, marking out & setting up of playing surfaces plus minor construction & landscaping work.
• The safe use & operation of equipment & machinery used in grounds maintenance.
• Carry out minor repairs to the clubhouse, outbuildings & surrounding areas.
• Ensure work area is kept clean, tidy & secure at all times.
• Make recommendations to Head Groundsman regarding improved work systems, labour & machinery utilisation.
• Establish & maintain effective working relationships with managers, colleagues & end users.
Relevant qualifications & experience to do the job competently. Ideally you will have (or be willing to gain):
• National/Scottish Vocational Qualification Level 2 Sports Turf Maintenance or IOG National technical Certificate or BTEC First Diploma/First Certificate in Horticulture or City & Guilds National Certificate in Horticulture
• Awareness of Health & Safety Legislation
• Formal training in manual handling
• Machinery competence (tractors, mowers, cultivators)
• A valid driving licence is essential
• Pesticide certificate
• Previous experience preparing cricket pitches ideal, but not essential
• You must be a positive, self motivated person who enjoys working outside in all weather.
• You must be willing to learn, take on all types of tasks as directed .
• You must be honest, reliable and take pride in your work.
• You must be keen to learn and further develop your skills in the area of grounds work as there is potential for longer term career progression.
• Must have the right to live and work in the UK.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Spencer Club is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs. We want our workforce to be representative of all sections of society and welcome applications from everyone.
The Spencer Club
Feb 11th, 14:00
12th March 2021