This is an exciting, year round, fulltime, opportunity for an individual with appropriate experience to complement the existing Grounds support team of this leading independent day and boarding School. This is an important role within the school, assisting with the maintenance and development of the playing surfaces, ensuring they are maintained to a safe and consistently high quality, and that all external grounds, are maintained to the highest standard at all times.
The successful candidate will have the relevant skills and expertise. In particular, they will have prerequisite experience and a keen interest in grounds maintenance. They will also be highly proactive and have excellent interpersonal and communication skills. A willingness to embrace H&S allied to a personable manner are essential criteria.
To apply for the role complete our application at https://www.wsnl.co.uk/jointheteam
Please note; CVs may be sent in addition to, but not instead of the completed application form and covering letter.
Worksop College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service)
Please note we are a no smoking site.
Main purpose of the post:
To develop and maintain the School cricket facility, sports pitches and external areas of both School sites ensuring that they are safe facilities for the use by pupils, visitors, staff and external hirers. The Grounds Department respond to requests for the preparations of the grounds in such a way that they meet fully the requirements to provide a full sports programme and maintain the appearance of the School to an exceptionally high standard throughout the year.
• NVQ2 Amenity Horticulture or equivalent qualification (or evidence of commensurate practical experience)– to be clearly evidenced in your application
• Good knowledge of and experience in the preparation of Cricket pitches essential
• Chemical Spray Licence. PA1, PA2, PA6
• PTC Chain saw Licence.
• Knowledge and experience of artificial surfaces.
• D1 Driving Licence
• Take an active role in preparing grassed sports pitches for daily activities.
• Be involved in the weekend rota for setting up pitches for matches
• Ensure the optimal playing quality of the sports grounds, by carefully following the appropriate maintenance schedules as directed by the Head Groundsman.
• Ensure that you only use equipment that you are trained for
• Ensure that when applying chemicals and sprays, that you are trained to do so and to use prudent stock control
• Account for all the materials, following the procedures in place for booking out stock/machine
• Follow WC safe working procedures for the equipment under their remit and that details of training are kept updated.
• Ensure that all issues relating to H&S are adhered that risk assessments on machinery and equipment and core tasks are followed
• Ensure a clean and safe working environment is maintained and that you represent the College through smart uniforms and courteous manner.
• Assisting with the tree programme.
• Complete pre use checks of machinery and complete post use cleaning, repair and maintenance.
• Maintenance of artificial sports surfaces
• Undertake a range of grounds keeping tasks that may include:
• Grass cutting.
• Tree and hedge pruning/cutting.
• Marking out sports pitches.
• Snow Clearing on drives and pathways
• Placing outposts and goals for the range of sports provided.
• Maintaining the Astro Turf sports pitch playing surface.
• Maintaining the full range of mechanical and hand tools including all machinery which are utilised in completion of the range of tasks undertaken.
• Assist other members of the Estates Grounds and Estates Maintenance Staff as required.
• Maintenance of the hard-court areas.
• Assist as required efficiently and effectively to emergencies, flooding, power cuts or other natural or manmade problems.
• Assisting with the setting up of specific college areas for special events as required.
• Escorting visitors and contractors around the site as required.
• Have good manual dexterity for the use of power and hand tools.
• Employ best practice methods of working to provide the best value for money for the school.
• Have an ability to work in a diplomatic and sensitive manner when working in the view of the staff, pupils, parents and other visitors to the School.
• Have an awareness of the whole site and report any security, health and safety and safeguarding matters in line with our procedures.
• Maintain a good standard of appearance in keeping with the overall college standards and expectations.
• Have a proactive approach to grounds issues.
• Be involved with school events such as building projects, bonfires, open mornings, car parking duties for prize giving etc.
The School is committed to ensuring the Health and Safety of all who learn, work, live and visit the School. You must take reasonable care for your own health and safety and of other persons who may be affected by your activities. All safety instructions must be obeyed, and the required training undertaken. All accidents and near misses must be reported and recorded within the Accident Book available on all sites.
You will be required to carry out other duties as may be commensurate with the post which do not change the character or purpose of the post which are necessary to maintain high standards of business practice. This job description therefore may be altered from time to time to meet the changing needs of the School.
The role covers both sites Worksop College and Ranby house
Hours of work
2nd week Sept through to Mid-March 36.25 hours per week which include a 30 min paid morning break and a 45 min unpaid lunch break.
Mid-March to 2nd week September 38.75 hours per week which include a 30 min paid morning break and a 45 min unpaid lunch break.
Your hours of work will be as indicated above, working any 5 days in 7 in accordance with the published rota with variable start and finish times in accordance with the needs of the school.
You will be required to carry out other duties as may be commensurate with the post which do not change the character or purpose of the post which are necessary to maintain high standards of business practice. This job description therefore may be altered from time to time to meet the changing needs of the school.
Duties must be carried out in strict compliance with the school’s policies on equal opportunities, health and safety and quality assurance.
Application deadline: 02/05/2021
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: £21,000.00 per year
£21,000.00 Per Year
Wednesday April 07, 11:00
2nd May 2021