Godolphin is the world’s largest global thoroughbred breeding operation and horseracing team founded by His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and Ruler of Dubai.
Today Team Godolphin spans across four continents, from our home in Dubai to Europe, Australia, Japan and America. Founded in Dubai in 1992, the operation has been built on a foundation of innovation and uninhibited achievement that has led to a legacy of success for horses in Godolphin’s famous blue silks. Its global headquarters is in Newmarket, which is the epicentre of the UK’s thoroughbred industry.
The successful candidate will lead a team of specialist grounds staff, ensuring the year-round provision of first-class equine training surfaces and meticulous upkeep of the surrounding estate.
The post holder is responsible to the Head of Estates and Facilities and the Trainer for the following:
• The day-to-day management of the grass gallops and all-weather tracks, including preparation, maintenance, and repairs
• Daily communication with the Trainer, ensuring the condition of the surfaces is conveyed and understood; horse safety is paramount
• Reporting to the Head of Estates and Facilities on progress in your department
• Planning and coordination of daily tasks for all grass gallops and all-weather tracks staff
• The application of both pesticides and fertilisers used on the gallops
• Keeping accurate and up to date records of any pesticides and fertilisers used on the gallops
• Responsible for continuously improving the quality of all training surfaces and any annual remedial works
• Ensuring that members of staff have the correct training and certification (where applicable)
• Ensuring that all plant and related machinery is safely maintained
• Ensuring that all operations are carried out in accordance with current health and safety guidelines
• Keeping up to date risk assessment and method statements
• Keeping records of vehicle servicing, checks and defect reports
• Developing policies and operational procedures
• Supervising, supporting, and performance managing staff and setting targets to improve their performance
• Supporting own personal development by attending training events as required
• Complying with the Godolphin health and safety policies
• Always demonstrating commitment to the Godolphin equal opportunities statement
Grass gallops experience
The ability to condition and influence racecourse 'going'
Extensive irrigation experience (Pop-up and Briggs Boom)
Team management experience
Ability to prioritise tasks
Excellent verbal communication skills
Ability to multi-task effectively under pressure
Willing to learn and develop good practice
Ability to work and manage the team on own initiative
PA1, PA2, PA6
Weekend work on a rota basis
NVQ Level 2 or 3 in Sports Turf Management (or equivalent)
Racecourse Courses - Level 1, 2 and 3 (Grounds Management Association)
In Return, we offer a very competitive salary and benefits package, company accommodation and a first-class working environment, with excellent opportunities to learn and develop new skills.
Apply within to: firstname.lastname@example.org or send your CV and a covering letter to:
Godolphin Management Company Limited
The Main Office
Suffolk, CB8 9HE
The closing date for applications is Sunday 29 August 2021.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is identified.
Godolphin aims to create a diverse and inclusive working environment in which everyone feels valued, that their contribution matters and they are able to perform to their full potential. We therefore encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds and circumstances, and we will be happy to discuss any adjustments you may require to make our workplace one you can thrive in.
Jul 30th, 20:15
29th August 2021