St Christopher School in Letchworth Garden City is seeking to appoint a Lead Grounds Person to help steer the Grounds Team in the maintenance and development of the school site. The employee will provide general assistance in keeping the school gardens, sports facilities and general use outdoor areas to a high standard.
The Employee shall during his/her employment be responsible on a day by day basis to the Grounds Manager and ultimately responsible to the Bursar. This is a physical, year-round job, and as such the successful candidate should be physically fit and comfortable with working in all weather conditions.
• Confident able to take the lead in a team
• Possessing of a strong work ethic and powerful self-motivation skills
• A keen eye for detail – understanding that a high quality finish is imperative
• Good time-management skills, ability to prioritise and achieve results efficiently and effectively
• An understanding and practical experience of basic machine maintenance, sports turf marking and maintenance, and sound Health & Safety practices
• Spraying certificates PA1/6
• Experience in use of tractors and implements (usage of three-point linkage and PTO)
• Chainsaw certificate CS30/31 (equivalent)
• NVQ Level 2 in sport turf/horticultural field
• Full valid UK driving license
• Maintenance of School gardens and grounds as instructed by the Grounds Manager, ensuring that the highest standards are achieved at all times.
• Use of hand tools, machines and ride-on mowers.
• Maintain to the highest standard the sports surfaces, using tractor, attachments and machines. Including preparing pitches for cricket, football, rugby and athletics.
• Line-marking, to mark out the sports pitches.
• Maintaining artificial surfaces, to keep them clean and playable for the pupils and external clubs.
• Sweeping/Cleaning main school road/drives, paths, play areas etc.,
• Emptying all rubbish bins and separating where possible all rubbish for recycling or which may be burned according to Health and Safety recommendation and legislation.
• Picking up and clearing of litter.
• General leaf clearing by hand or machine.
• Fence repairs and treatment of wooden fences, seats and sheds etc.,
• Gardening duties include edging of lawns, de-weeding flower beds, pruning etc.
• General assistance to other gardeners and caretaking if required.
• Clearing of snow and gritting pathways.
• To be responsible and maintain all equipment, with particular reference to safety provisions.
• Undertake any other work as reasonably directed by the Grounds Manager or Bursar from time to time.
• To ensure that you are aware of all COSHH Regulations relating to any product used and to comply with the Personal Protective Equipment at Work Regulations 1992.
• To create a safe environment by ensuring that agreed codes of practice are adhered to and to comply in particular to the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1992.
Salary Point scale (23-27) £25,354.16 - £28,816.56
Salaries will be dependent on qualifications and experience.
Hours of work:
07:30 - 16:00 with a 30-minute break for lunch - Monday - Friday
Applications are only accepted on a St Chris application form
which you can download here.
Please email the completed form to: email@example.com
The School is committed to safeguarding children and has a rigorous safer recruitment procedure in place. An Enhanced DBS certificate will be required for this role.
St Christopher School
Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire
£25,354 - £28,816
Sep 9th, 13:10