Erskine Stewart’s Melville Schools (ESMS) are recruiting a full time permanent Assistant Groundsman to join our existing team. The people that work for us are passionate, pioneering and strive for excellence in everything they do. We value the incredible contributions they make to school life, we invest in their careers and we support their ambitions so that they flourish professionally and personally.
The role will involve maintenance of sports pitches (both natural grass and artificial surfaces), ornamental lawns, shrubberies, and other landscaped areas. The postholder will be required to possess a full, clean driver’s license and have experience of driving tractors, using petrol mowers, hedge trimmers, strimmer’s and ride-on mowers.
This is a permanent position available immediately. The hours of work are:
• Monday to Thursday – 7.00am to 4.00pm
• Friday – 7.00am to 3.00pm
• Saturday – 8.00am to 12.00pm (every second Saturday on a rota).
The salary range for this role will be on the ESMS Support Staff Salary Scale point 8 - 11 which is from £22,536 to £24,657 per annum, and the salary appointment will be dependent upon relevant experience.
The closing date for applications is 12pm on Wednesday 29 June 2022. Interviews
will likely be held week beginning 4 July 2022.
THE POST Assistant Groundsman
BASIC FUNCTION The Assistant Groundsman Person’s basic function is to help maintain the schools’ grounds and pitches to a high standard, as determined by the schools’ management.
ACCOUNTABILITY The Assistant Groundsman is accountable to the ESMS Head Groundsman for their day-to-day tasks and, in their absence, the Foreman Groundsman.
AUTHORITY The Assistant Groundsman has authority as delegated by the ESMS Head Groundsman, the Estates Manager and the Bursar.
RELATIONSHIPS The Assistant Groundsman is required to interact closely with all other members of staff and the greater school community.
Grounds Maintenance and Gardening 60%
• Keeping the grounds in good order as per duties directed by the ESMS Head Grounds Person or their designated deputy.
• Pruning and maintaining shrubs, trees and hedges when appropriate through the year to ensure good health and growth in an aesthetic manner.
• Planting, weeding and cultivating flower beds and herbaceous plantings.
• Cutting and maintaining sports pitches, lawns and ornamental areas of grass.
General Maintenance 35%
• Collecting litter and emptying litter bins.
• Sweeping up debris and detritus from playgrounds and areas of hard standing.
• Helping in the schedules of preventative maintenance to drains on the school sites and other ESMS grounds.
• Carrying out counteractive measures in times of harsh winter weather, including the de-icing of all footpaths and roadways.
• Ensuring that all grounds staff equipment is maintained to a safe and suitable standard; and reporting any defects and/or safety issues immediately.
• Providing grounds security as and when required.
• Carrying out any other duties that may be reasonably requested by the ESMS Head Grounds Person.
The Grounds Staff work on rotation across the three school sites: The Mary Erskine School (MES) at Ravelston, Stewart's Melville College (SMC) at Queensferry Road, and Inverleith Playing Fields on Ferry Road.
• NC Horticulture, City and Guilds Horticulture Level 2-3, NVQ/SVC level 2-3 in Green-keeping/Sports turf maintenance or equivalent experience.
• Experience of using pedestrian, petrol engine rotary and cylinder mowers.
• Experience of using petrol en-gine hedge trimmers and petrol engine strimmer’s.
• Experience of using amenity range diesel tractors with various mounted implements (trailed gang mower, rotary mower, turf aerator, sand spreader, trailers and drag brushes).
• Experience using diesel engine Cricket Rollers.
• Experience using ride-on triple cylinder mowers and ride-on rotary deck mowers.
• Experience of working in an education environment.
• Pesticide Application Certificates (PA1 and PA6 preferred).
• Excellent communication skills (orally and in writing) and inter-personal skills.
• Ability to multi-task and prioritise own workload with good attention to detail.
• Independent, self-motivated and organised; with an ability to work as part of a team.
• Full, clean driving license.
• High professional and personal standards.
• Commitment to continuous professional development.
REMUNERATION AND OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
As an equal opportunities employer, ESMS is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership. We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join ESMS.
This is a permanent full time position available immediately.
Hours of Work
The hours of work are:
- Monday to Thursday - 7.00am to 4.00pm
- Friday - 7.00am to 3.00pm
- Saturday - 8.00am to 12.00pm (every second Saturday on rota system)
Entitlement is to 25 days annual holiday leave plus 10 days statutory holiday at Christmas and Easter, when the Schools are closed. The Schools’ holiday year runs from January to December.
The starting salary will be from be from £22,536 to £24,657 per annum dependent on qualifications and experience. All salaries are reviewed on 1st April annually.
The post holder will be required to work across three sites and must have a full, clean driving license to use the ESMS vehicles.
The post holder will be required to complete a pre-employment
Medical medical assessment with the ESMS Occupational Health provider.
ESMS is unable to sponsor the employment of international workers in this role. International applicants will therefore be unable to apply for and secure a Skilled Worker visa. The successful candidate will only be able to take up this role if they can demonstrate an alternative right to work in the UK.
The successful candidate will be enrolled automatically into the Merchant Company Stakeholder Pension Scheme.
Staff are offered a range of benefits including: free school lunch during term time, use of the schools’ swimming pool and fitness room outside school hours and membership of the ESMS Discount and Benefits Scheme, including a range of discounts at 130,000 retail and entertainment locations. Staff with children at the Erskine Stewart’s Melville Schools are entitled to a tuition fee discount of 50% (pro rata) from Nursery to Sixth Form.
ESMS reserves the right to withdraw this position at any time.
Applicants must complete the Support Staff application form and Equal Opportunities Monitoring form to be considered for this position. Please note CVs and cover letters will not be accepted. Please submit both forms to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
Please submit both forms to email@example.com before the closing date.
Any enquiries should be directed to Laura McMurray at firstname.lastname@example.org or by
phone on 0131 347 5867.
The closing date for applications is 12pm on Wednesday 29 June 2022. Interviews will likely be held week beginning 4 July 2022.
Telephone: 44131 3475891
ESMS - Erskine Stewart's Melville Schools
£22,536 To £24,657 Per Annum
Jun 22nd, 09:57
4th July 2022