An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Head of Grounds at Stratford Sports Club. The ideal candidate will understand that operational excellence is only achieved by hard work, an engaged and enthusiastic team and above all, an inspirational and motivational leader.
Reporting to: Director of Operations
About Stratford Sports Club
Situated on an idyllic ten-acre site alongside the river Avon and opposite the world-famous Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford Sports Club is the sporting hub of the community and the surrounding areas to enjoy. The Club boasts over 1400 members across seven sports – cricket, squash, boxing, snooker, tennis, hockey and athletics.
Stratford Sports Club purpose is to provide first class sporting facilities, and to promote and support an inclusive & progressive environment where participation in sport is encouraged for all members of community, regardless of whether you want to try a sport for the first time, enjoy sport socially with friends, or whether you are on an elite sports pathway.
You will have autonomy to organise your work schedule around the needs of the business.
To supervise, assist, mentor and motivate staff that report to you.
Be involved in the selection process of staff.
Able to react quickly to changes under your control.
We are seeking to recruit a talented, experienced and knowledgeable individual into the role of Head of Grounds at Stratford Sports Club. This fantastic opportunity gives the successful candidate the chance to manage and develop our excellent cricket and tennis facilities and surrounds. Crown green bowls knowledge is also desirable.
The Head of Grounds will, along with their team, proactively manage and maintain the highest standards of natural and artificial playing surfaces and surrounding areas, and will oversee the long-term planning of grounds’ maintenance, upkeep and renovation in line with time, financial and user requirements.
The successful candidate is accountable to the Director of Operations for the quality, success and development of the grounds and, as such, will have a genuine enthusiasm for their profession. The Head of Grounds will be expected to build and foster relationships with stakeholders, particularly the sports sections of cricket and tennis.
External Relationships: Will include relevant suppliers and contractors for resources and other equipment, Grounds Management Association and other industry associations, other grounds personnel. Of major importance is the fostering of a good relationship with King Edwards School and contractors.
Manage all sporting facilities to deliver first class surfaces as required:
• Produce an annual Department Plan setting out tasks for improving the sporting facilities.
• Work closely with the Director of Operations to monitor and advise on the sporting programme of activities.
• Make ‘play and no play’ decisions.
• Monitor pitch usage.
• Undertake or manage grounds projects, including with external contractors.
• Ensure the efficient maintenance of machinery and equipment.
• Maintain awareness of industry developments, drawing relevant aspects to the attention of director of Operations.
• Prepare and organise the grounds and facilities for sports lets Management of Team.
• Supervise a grounds apprentice.
• Promote and coordinate the training and development of team members.
• Coach, mentor and motivate staff to achieve work schedules and objectives.
• Provide effective performance feedback by conducting annual appraisals on team members.
• Ensure all mandatory training is kept up to date.
• Develop an appropriate work shift pattern to meet the seasonal and sporting needs of the Club.
Health and Safety
Maintain a thorough knowledge of all relevant current legislation ie health and safety, first aid, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH), Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER), Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER), environment management and ensure compliance by preparing, conducting and regularly updating risk assessments
Demonstrating the highest levels of commitment and compliance to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
Relevant Experience/Knowledge & Technical Competencies
• Proven track record within the grounds care profession, producing facilities to the highest
• Demonstrable technical knowledge of industry standards and resources.
• Proven staff management experience, capable of motivating team without micro-management of situations.
• Budget planning and control skills experience.
• Demonstrable understanding of relevant and current health and safety and industry legislation.
• IT literate.
• Sound working knowledge of grounds-related plant and machinery
• Grounds management experience.
• Membership of Grounds Management Association (formerly known as the Institute of
• Experience of working in a Club environment.
• A minimum of an NVQ Level 3 or equivalent experience in sports turf management.
• Current clean driving licence.
• An NVQ Level 4 or equivalent experience in sports turf management.
• Formal training in manual handling, risk assessment and supervision of staff.
Personal Competencies / Skills:
• Ability to communicate both orally and in written form
• Problem solver and ability to use initiative
• Highly organised, decisive and able to manage time effectively
• Flexible attitude with the ability to work under pressure
• Keen eye for and attention to detail
• Capable of working with people from wide range of backgrounds - able to demonstrate tact and diplomacy.
• Team player with a positive attitude, strong and good at forming effective working relationships with people at all levels.
• Keen sense of customer service and pride in success of team and finished product.
Follow us: http://www.instagram.com/stratfordsport
Stratford Sports Club
Jan 16th, 03:00
30th January 2023