Goodwood Cricket Club (GCC) and Chichester Priory Park Cricket Club (CPPCC) are delighted to announce the formation of an alliance, which means that all of the CPPCC first and second team's home matches will now be played at Goodwood.
The partnership, agreed between the clubs and the Goodwood Estate and backed by Chichester District Council, has been developed with the aim of making Chichester and Goodwood a combined centre of excellence for the development of cricket in West Sussex.
The alliance will operate out of two grounds, with Goodwood hosting first and second team matches, as well as GCC home games, while Priory Park will continue to be the venue for CPPCC third and fourth XI's games.
CPPCC's large junior section of 220 youngsters, ranging from ages 6 to 16, will combine their training and games at both Priory Park and Goodwood, as well as Westbourne House, Prebendal, Seaford College, Bishop Luffa and Chichester High School.
Mike Dannatt, Chichester Priory Park Cricket Club Chairman said; "This is a wonderful opportunity to utilise this historic ground to develop and secure cricket in the area. Anyone who has had the pleasure of playing at Goodwood will know it is a fantastic place to play and improvements of the square and outfield have already taken place to make it suitable for a high standard of club cricket.
"This has been a long time coming but the future of Chichester Priory Park Cricket Club is very exciting indeed and we are hopeful this is just the start of a long and successful relationship between both clubs."
Richard Geffen, Chair of the Goodwood Cricket Management Committee and GCC said; "Goodwood CC are delighted to have reached this agreement with CPPCC, the Goodwood Estate and Chichester District Council. The historic ground at Goodwood, which played such a significant part in developing cricket in the 18th century, can now begin to play a part in developing and sustaining the game in the 21st century in the Chichester area. This a very exciting time for all those involved, our ambitions are far reaching and the opportunities endless. We are all very grateful to His Grace the Duke for Richmond, Lord March and their team for their tremendous support and enthusiasm for this development."
His Grace the Duke of Richmond, Lord March, Goodwood CEO Alex Williamson and Managing Director of Sport, Adam Waterworth, are working with GCC to look into further improving the current cricketing facilities to compliment a backdrop that could rival any other in the county.
You can read about Goodwood Cricket Club HERE
- 1702 receipt for brandy records the earliest use of the ground
- 1727 - earliest set of written rules still in existence today created for the Duke against Mr Brodrick of Peper Harow Park, near Godalming
- 4th Duke was backer of Thomas Lord
- 5th Duke President of MCC
- Present Duke was for 25 years President/Patron of Sussex CCC
- 1814 only 1st Class match played at Goodwood
- Past players: James Lillywhite (first captain of England captaining them against Australia in 1876-77.
Chichester Priory Park
- 1851 the club was founded.
- 1st Class cricket came to the Park in 1852, the last 1st class game being played in 1950.
- The Australians also played there in 1882 and 1886 against Lord March's XI.
- The Park was given to the City by the 7th Duke of Richmond.
- Past players who have become professional cricketers:- Greg Ritchie (Australia), Adam Zamper (Australia), Fazal-E-Akbar (Pakistan), Jamie Hall and John North (Sussex)
- 2005 Sussex Premier Champions