Golfers looking to experience some of the best golf, gastronomy and wine that Spain has to offer, should look no further than the idyllic Costa Brava region on the north-east shores of the country, as it has been recognised by The Telegraph as one of its preferred holiday destinations for 2015.
Travel experts from The Telegraph, one of the UK's leading daily newspapers, selected Costa Brava as one of their top ten food and drink holiday destinations in Spain, declaring that it combines "beautiful scenery" with "some of the best wines in Catalonia".
The newly created Empordà Wine Route in Costa Brava, which maps out one of the oldest wine producing counties in the world and stretches from the French border to the historical town of Blanes, 50 minutes north of Barcelona, was particularly praised by the experts. The Empordà region has been producing wine since Roman times and the route is designed to offer golfers the opportunity to explore and experience the regions numerous hotels, restaurants, wine bars, wine therapy treatment companies and museums.
Ramón Ramos, Director of the Costa Brava Girona Tourist Board, said: "Being recognised as one of the leading food and drink holiday destinations in Spain by an esteemed newspaper such as The Telegraph is a fantastic accolade and a great way for the region to start 2015.
"Costa Brava continues to welcome golfers from across the world, many of whom look to not only enjoy the fantastic golf facilities available within the region, but to sample the food, wine and culture that makes it a truly memorable golf break destination."
On the Beach prediction
In addition, Costa Brava has been identified as the best value-for-money luxury holiday destination in the four-star category by online travel agent On the Beach. As one of the UK's leading independent holiday specialists, On the Beach looked at the average holiday costs during 2014 in order to predict the best value destinations for this year and Costa Brava beat the Algarve, Malaga, Alicante and Halkidiki to top spot in the category.
Golfers looking to infuse their break to the Costa Brava with the food and wine of the region have a selection of courses to choose from.
• PGA Catalunya Resort, home to Spain's No.1 golf course and Europe's Best Golf resort 2015.
• Club Golf d'Aro Mas Nou, which offers spectacular vistas from its 300m above sea-level perch
• Empordà Golf Resort, a 36-hole golf and hotel complex with its European Top 100 ranked Links Course
• British-designed Golf Platja de Pals situated on the Spanish seafront
• One of the region's oldest courses, Club de Golf Costa Brava, that offers a good test for all standards of player
• Golf Girona, the only course in Spain sown entirely with Penncross grass
• Torremirona Golf Club that enjoys wonderful views of the Pyrenees
• Club de Golf Peralada, the region's northern-most course designed according to environmentally-friendly specifications
• Par 3 Gualta - perfect for those looking to perfect their short game or for a quick and pleasant round
With the newly opened high-speed train (AVE) line, Girona is just 38 minutes from Barcelona and easily accessible thanks to Girona-Costa Brava Airport, an important Ryanair hub.