Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer - Nematodes
Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer contains the native parasitic entomopathogenic nematode species Steinernema kraussei The nematodes seek out vine weevil larvae in the soil before entering the larvae through natural openings. Bacteria in the nematodes subsequently infect the larvae which leads to safe and natural control.
These vine weevil nematodes are highly suitable for use on edible crops and open ground where standard chemical controls are not permitted.
This product is to be kept refrigerated until used.
As the larvae approach the adult stage they become increasingly difficult to control with vine weevil nematodes.
Steinernema kraussei is effective at soil temperatures down to 5ºC
We don’t sell this product during the period when the larvae are not susceptible to control using nematodes.
Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer will control larvae present in the area and protect against further larvae damage for up to six weeks.
How to Apply Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer
Vine weevil nematodes are most effective when they coincide with susceptible life stages in the larvae. For this reason a proactive preventative approach to pest management is required.
Outdoors - Planted Borders, Pots and Containers
Indoors - Poly Tunnels and Glasshouses
- Normal infestations: One application during September. This period coincides with a range of larvae life cycle stages to provide optimal control.
- Severe Infestations: Two applications, the first in August followed by a second application in October.
- Normal infestations: Two applications, the first in August followed by a second application in October.
- The normal vine weevil life cycle can become broken in covered cropping situations. If this occurs Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer can be applied all year round, as long as the soil temperature is above 5ºC
When applying to pots make sure that not too much water flows out of the drainage holes so the vine weevil nematodes are not lost.
Once mixed with water, apply immediately, making sure they are applied to the soil. Wash any nematodes off the leaves using more water.
Vine Weevils feed at the roots of plants so application in this area is beneficial.
Localised Spot Treatment With Watering Can
- Fill a clean bucket with clean water.
- Take the vine weevil nematodes out of the fridge and open the containers.
- Tip the entire contents (minus the container) into the bucket and stir gently.
- Rinse the container out in the bucket to ensure you have mixed in all the nematodes.
- Pour a proportion of the concentrated mix into a watering can and top up with fresh water.
- Water on soil/lawn and then water in with hose/watering can.
- Each pack treats 100 m2.
Broad Application To Large Area
This product is a biological control which is fully compatible with an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) programme.
- Wash the feeder through with water to ensure it is clean.
- Add entire contents of the pack to the bowl of the feeder. Then fill the bowl with water and stir to mix thoroughly. Attach the hose.
- Taking care to keep the feeder in an upright position apply evenly to the whole of the area for 8 minutes using a side-to-side motion to keep the nematodes well mixed. During this time most of the nematodes will have been applied.
- Treat the same area again for a further 8 minutes (or 16 minutes for lawn applications) to apply the remaining nematodes as well as to make sure they are adequately watered in. Applications to lawns require more water to ensure the nematodes are washed through the grass thatch.
- Adhering strictly to the application timings will ensure that any remaining colour in the bowl will be due to inert carrier only and that you have performed an even application.
- This method provides a simple and effective application, however, it is important to follow the instructions exactly to obtain even coverage.
- This product is harmless to people, animals and the environment.
- Biological controls are living organisms, as a result the exact timing of availability and application may differ according to local environmental conditions.
This may cause a slight variance in the life cycle of the target pest species from year to year.
Users are advised to closely monitor their local site for signs of pest appearance, susceptible life stages and crop damage.
- Due to the fact that biological controls contain living organisms they have a short expiry date and should be refrigerated prior to use.
For further information regarding Nemasys Vine Weevil Killer, please contact our technical sales team on 01902 440250