Terranem Chafer Grub Killer (1000 m2)
When ordering you will receive 2 x 500 m2 packs
Terranem Chafer Grub Killer is a chafer grub treatment containing Heterorhabditis bacteriophora; a species of native entomopathogenic nematode (microscopic worms) which controls infestations of chafer grub larvae safely and effectively.
There is one application window in the pests life cycle suitable for applying a chafer grub treatment.
The application window is during the late summer/autumn, from the middle of August to the middle of October.
The graphic below
is designed to inform the user as to the life stage of the organism throughout the year
The mid August to mid-October application window coincides with the larvae being at a young and susceptible life stage and the soil temperature being above 14ºC, which is the minimum point the nematodes are at their most active in the soil.
Click to Enlarge
Once soil temperatures rise again in the following spring the larvae will have grown to a stage where effective control of any type is significantly reduced. This means that a pro-active preventative approach to controlling chafer larvae in turf areas is required.
A pro-active preventative approach to controlling chafer grubs in turf is required. By treating with Terranem Chafer Grub Killer within the mid August to mid October application window, direct damage from the grubs and indirect damage from predators hunting for them in the following spring and summer is avoided.
The nematodes work in the soil by seeking out the chafer beetle larvae and attack the pest by entering natural body openings. Once inside, they release bacteria (Photorhabdus spp.) that stops the pest from feeding, quickly killing the grub.
The nematodes then reproduce inside the dead grub and release a new generation of infective juvenile nematodes. These infective juveniles then disperse into the soil and search for further prey. If sustained this life cycle can lead to significantly reduced chafer grub populations in subsequent years.
Terranem Chafer Grub Killer must be used within 3-4 weeks of being received, keep refrigerated until used.
Each pack of Terranem Chafer Grub Killer treats up to 500m2.
- Terranem Leatherjacket Killer should be applied using a handheld or hydraulic sprayer.
- Take stock of nematodes 1-2 weeks prior to forecast application period to facilitate application in optimum circumstances.
- Nematodes should be stored in a refrigerator at a temperature between 2-6 °C.
- Apply when soil temperatures are warm (above 14 °C) and moist.
- Apply 5-10 mm water to the turf the evening before treatment.
- Subsequently apply 5 mm of water 1-2 hours before treatment.
- Aerate the soil immediately prior to application with a sarel roller to ease nematode transition into soil contact.
- Apply Entomopathogenic Nematodes 4-5 weeks post adult emergence.
- Apply early in the morning, in the evening or on a cloudy day as the nematodes will be killed by UV light.
- Apply when rain fall is forecast.
- Remove all filters from the sprayer, these can be within the lance handle or top hat filters at the nozzle or alternatively in filter bowls within pipes after the pump.
- Ensure that the sprayer is completely clean.
- Apply with a penetrant wetting agent to enable more efficient passage into the soil.
- It is important that the nematodes are delivered into contact with the soil as quickly as possible, excessive thatch within the turf sward will inhibit the nematodes passage into the soil.
- Half fill the sprayer with clean water.
- Put the contents of the pack into a bucket containing 5 litres of water (15-20 °C).
- Stir well and allow to soak for 20-30 seconds.
- Stir well once again and poor the entire solution into the spray tank.
- Top up until the required amount of solution is in the tank.
- Spray immediately after preparation over a wet surface. Maximum (12 bar pressure).
- Use the whole pack in one go, as the distribution of nematodes in the pack is not homogenous.
- Immediately after applying, water the grass area well (at least 2-5 litres per m²) so the nematodes are washed into the soil to reach the roots where the pests will be.
- Ensure the turf area does not dry out after applying nematodes. If necessary, keep the area well-watered for at least two weeks.
Nematodes are live organisms and need to be kept refrigerated until they are used. We take great care to ensure that they are handled in a manner which ensures they arrive in the appropriate condition:
- If Terranem is ordered by 15.00 hours on a Friday, they are guaranteed delivered to you the following week.
- If Terranem is ordered by 17.00 hours on a Thursday, they are guaranteed delivery to you on Tuesday of the subsequent week.
We do not sell this product during the period when the larvae are not susceptible to control using nematodes.
To aid the efficiency of the nematodes into the soil profile, apply with Premier Hydrate Wetting Agent.
For further information on Terranem Chafer Grub Killer, please contact a member of our technical sales team on 01902 440250.